I needed a sample project.
And that could only mean one thing–I was going to build something related to running. I can’t explain this impulse except by saying that I am easily motivated by these sorts of projects.
So I would like to introduce you to My Marathon Buddy, an app that aims to make your run a little more positive. It does the following things:
- You can fill out this form to get an initial text from me.
- The number you received this initial text from is my Twilio number.
- When you are out for a run and need a boost of motivation, you can send a text to my Twilio number and you will receive a random encouraging text back.
- If you want to contribute to the motivation, you can add encouraging texts here.
- I gave myself mad power. I can actually post short updates about my training to the website by sending texts! I have not given you this power, but you can see the updates at the bottom of this page.
This project is written in Python 3.7 and uses Django 2.1. The core functionality is built with Twilio’s Python SDK and utilizes their API. It utilizes a MySQL database and is hosted on pythonanywhere.
More features/minor improvements will roll out soon and I will be writing about them here. In the meantime, please feel free to poke around the site a bit.